Saturday, May 12, 2007

Auction Day

Today is the day (Day) of my choir's big huge fundraisingbenefitauction (seems like a one-word type of thing). We have a big catalog and lots of guests registered, so we hope to make lots of money. I am in charge of item pick-up, which is the process of collecting all the purchased items and putting them all in neatly organized piles so that when people want to leave, we can easily get them their purchases and they can leave happily. It is the last part of the auction experienced by the guests, and so if it goes well, they may think well of us, and if it goes poorly, they will hate us forever. It is usually very chaotic. No stress. Last year it went pretty well because we had so many people working on it. This year we have lots of people working on it, too. But last year I was not in charge, and this year I am because the woman who is usually in charge (the lovely Judy) is in Peru. So I'm a little nervous. I got up early so I could get there bright and early, and then got an email this morning saying I don't have to get there before noon - hallelujah! So I am wiling away my extra hour on the internet.

I just joined Classmates.com. I joined under the name I use now (i.e., Rebecca) rather than the name I used then (Becky), and now I can't figure out how to change it. I assume that is why so many people have double entries. Either they forgot that they had already joined, or they couldn't figure out how to edit their profile. The people I am really interested in from high school either have not joined or have not done a profile. Most people are married with 1-3 children and are conservative in their political views. Thank God some are single, childless, and liberal. And no longer living in Illinois, those left-leaning anti-family people.

I gotta see what ferry I have to take. I hope this auction thing goes well. Tomorrow I sleep.

2 comments:

becky said...

I hope the auction went well!

Yeah, that's why I never do nuthin' along the lines o' classmates.com; don't really wanna hear about all them married-with-kids people. Not that bein' single don't have its advantages. But, still. Blehhhhhhhhhhhh.

katiebird said...

I joined classmates to find old friends, and found one actually. She is also married with child and conservative, but that's cool. Her husband is career Army, in Afghanistan, with four years to go--she's home with a five-year-old. She's the only one I've contacted so far. It was great to hear from her but wow, kind of rough seeing/reading about all those folks I used to know, and what they are/might be like now. It's kind of like looking too long at yourself naked in the mirror.

(I wish more of them had pictures up. Hell, I sacrificed one of mine. I'm gonna post one of me in my cassock and surplice, see if that doesn't rock a world or two, if anyone actually sees it.)