Saturday, January 17, 2009

Farewell, Mr. President

I have been dreaming about George W. Bush. Much to my surprise, my dreams are sympathetic to him. I am worried that he feels like a failure, that he is sad because so many people are so happy to see him go. In my dreams, people give him tender good-bye kisses. He's not so bad. On the other hand, in my last GWB dream, I am pretty sure that he murdered Dick Cheney with a wire whisk on a carousel. Some big leader murdered his second-in-command, in despair because he had finally realized just how badly his Number One had screwed him over. Thankfully, my subconscious did not dwell on how someone would murder another person with a wire whisk, or what the victim would then look like. A crowd of concerned citizens gathered to solve the murder mystery. An FBI agent listed all the suspicious clues at the scene. But the leader had fled.

All this tells me that I am an optimist at heart. I look for the best in people, even if the best is simply that the person is a good-hearted and complete idiot who is easily led. But in fact, I still have my doubts about ol' George. He may in fact be a complete idiot, but I wonder about his heart. Still, if he really was aiming for the best possible outcome throughout his presidency, which one must assume he was, then the result is very sad. It is sad to try so hard and to fail so miserably. That's me with teaching middle school - I tried hard, but boy, was I bad at it. I don't think it makes me a complete idiot. But it does mean that I was trying to do something that I was not at all meant to do, and no one was the better for it. I think George W. Bush has been trying to teach middle school for 8 years, when he should never have been put in charge of a classroom.

1 comment:

becky said...

Yay, it's great to see new posts! GWB teachin' 8th grade, ha ha ha! It's funny, cuz I didn't have any dreams about old George before the inauguration, but I remember drivin' to work that day and feeling sort of sad for him. Everyone at work did, too, cuz when you watched the thing, there're these huge crowds and everything, and most of them were there to see the new president, y'know, President Obama. I'd've been a sad camper if I was Bush, cuz I'd be all, "oh, they're happy to see me leave." Ah well. But yeah, it's a good question; is the way things are what he intended? Or was it like the 8th grade classroom where it's like, whoops! Maybe I'll get another job! (I feel like that a lot actually ha ha ha).