Saturday, August 11, 2007

parrot therapy

Did you know that U.S. Army veterans are working with parrots as part of their therapy? Yep, they work with abused parrots that have been rescued, and they help them recovery from their abuse. Helping the parrots helps the veterans. You can hear about it here. It brought tears to my eyes; I almost started crying on the ferry. Then again, I'm a softie. It would be nice to help out a parrot in need. We could have a big aviary where they could fly around. It would have lots of plants that would somehow thrive in ways that my houseplants do not. One of my plants is dying, I fear. The soil was bone-dry, so I watered it. The leaves immediately turned yellow and then brown and fell off. So I decided not to water it. Then the soil became all dry again, and the plant, what was left of it, looked very sad. So I watered it. And the remaining leaves are turning yellow. It is the kind of plant that looks great when you first get it, lasts a few years, and then collapses. I don't remember its name, but apparently it is known for this. This is the second time it has collapsed. The first time, I went east for the summer, and when I returned, the people left in charge of it had resurrected it. I'm not sure how. Maybe I should give some nice plant food.

It is Saturday and I have to work. Too many things are due next week, things that are nowhere near done. Actually, one thing is near done, but another thing is in bad, bad shape. So I'm going in to work this morning. Pretty exciting, I know.

2 comments:

becky said...

That's cool about the parrots! Animals are so cool, and there's just something so cool about bein' around them. Something that's inherently nice and good for you. It's nice.+

katiebird said...

I can see parrots being really helpful. You have to be very relaxed and perceptive to work with such a sensitive animal, sort of like horses. I love parrots!