Wednesday, November 7, 2007

dreams come true?

Speaking of dreaming of whales, this morning we saw a pod of killer whales from the ferry. So neat! I think I saw 5. I saw the first one before the captain announced them, I think. It was far away and just the dorsal fin was above water, and I wasn't sure if it was a whale, shark, or diving duck (since it kept disappearing). After the captain made his announcement, I moved over to the windows (amazing how many people did not do that!), and saw three whales traveling in tandem (although now I am not sure I know what "tandem" means), and then a single whale that was breaching quite a lot. They were moving. I took the 12:20 boat home this afternoon because I have some sort of bug, and I saw fish jumping, probably salmon. Maybe that's why the whales were there in the first place. It was an interesting day on the Sound, yesiree.

FYI, we do have sharks in Puget Sound. We have at least one species of small shark (dogfish) and probably more, and a few years ago, a UW professor discovered that there are sixgill sharks that live near the Sound floor. They are big, and I ride over them daily. Hmmm. And apparently, they have good, strong family values.

2 comments:

becky said...

That must've been really cool! I've only seen whales on TV. Oh, wait, I did pet a killer whale once at Sea World. He had rubbery skin.

CMadren said...

Wow! That is so neat — people travel to see whales and here you saw them on your commute! Fantastic.