Friday, October 19, 2007

Ads that depend on poor math skills

The Weather Channel shows me a little weather report whenever I turn on my computer at home. It's nice and useful and funded by ads, such as the following one from Lowe's: "Get $70 off instantly. $5 off purchases of 1 gallon of Valspar paint or $20 off 5 gallons."

Can't I just make 5 individual purchases of 1 gallon each and save $25 off 5 gallons? To save $70, should I make 14 individual purchases of 1 gallon each to get that $70 off, or should I buy 15 gallons and save $60, and then buy two more to save $70? If I bought those 17 gallons individually, would I really save $85? Did anybody read this ad before it was published? Or does a gallon cost $5, or 5 for $20? That would be a nice savings.

2 comments:

katiebird said...

It's the same kind of fuzzy thinking that leads to all the pink ribbons and yellow wristbands and "Support the Troops" bumper stickers. You could do more good by sending cash straight to the American Cancer Society or the Lance Armstrong foundation or a care package (or mylar vest) to your favorite troop, but then you wouldn't get a toy, would you.

becky said...

That is funny, hah. I wonder how many people caught that nice li'l gap in logic. That's a good point about the wristbands and stuff, too. People should just contribute $ directly to those causes and then crochet themselves a nice li'l wristband.