Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Finished a Faulkner

I finally finished reading "Light in August" this morning. I took me more than a month, during which time I read another book that was a lot more fun. Yep, that is a classic, all right. You can tell by all the horrible things that happen to people and the way Faulkner gets to make up grammar and punctuation and all. It felt like most of his characters really hate women. And he doesn't really seem to like them much, either, although he does show a smidgeon of understanding near the end of the book. I certainly don't want to jump right into "The Sound and the Fury," but there is something about Faulkner. His writing is compelling and slow and beautiful in its way, with its made-up words and not quite omniscient point of view. I don't really understand what makes half his characters tick, if any, but there is still something there. I don't know if I like it or not. I'm not sure it is a book that asks me or anyone to like it. I think I'll wait a year or two before reading the other one.

2 comments:

katiebird said...

I like a book that *sort of* asks me to like it. I liked "The Shipping News" a lot, even though bad things happen to people.
I like a balance of bad and good, I reckon!

becky said...

I keep on meanin' to read me some Faulkner, and I sorta like his style o' writin' in theory. It's hard 2 get thru, though. But, one of these days, I will, I will, I tell you, read one of those Faulkners, yesiree!